Yersinia Pestis Underlying Cause
- New Mexico
Animals found to be infected with plague in Montana have included coyotes, bobcats, domestic dogs, cats, rabbits and hares, antelope, deer, elk, prairie dogs, squirrels and other rodents.
Yersinia Pestis Types
These are five main types of bubonic plague:
- Bubonic plague:
- The most common form of plague
- Transmitted by the bite of an infected flea
- Pneumonic plague:
- The most lethal form.
- Highly contagious
- Human-to-human transmission is common
- Meningeal plague:
- Results in meningitis
- Buboes are common.
- Pharyngeal plague:
- Septicemic plague:
- Severe form that is most commonly seen in the elderly
- Buboes are rare
Continue to Yersinia Pestis Transmission
- Cobbs CG, Chansolme DH. Plague. Dermatol Clin. 2004 Jul;22(3):303-12, vi. 
- Duncan CJ, Scott S. What caused the Black Death? Postgrad Med J. 2005 May;81(955):315-20. 
- Kool JL. Risk of person-to-person transmission of pneumonic plague. Clin Infect Dis. 2005 Apr 15;40(8):1166-72. 
- Lazarus AA, Decker CF. Plague. Respir Care Clin N Am. 2004 Mar;10(1):83-98.