Wrist Pain Treatment
General treatment for wrist pain depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for wrist pain due to a minor injury may include rest, elevation, and cold compresses. A forearm splint (wrist splint) may be applied for a short time to immobilize the wrist, allowing it to heal. Pain can be controlled with acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
Treatment for wrist pain due to tendinitis may include rest, cold compresses, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. A splint may be applied to the wrist to immobilize the wrist, allowing the tendon to rest. Additional treatment for wrist tendonitis may include physical therapy, oral corticosteroids, and corticosteroid injections.
Treatment for wrist pain may include:
- Wound care
- Long term immobilization in a sling can lead to frozen shoulder.
- If you wear a shoulder sling for longer than two weeks make sure you perform shoulder range of motion exercises twice a day to avoid frozen shoulder.
- Wrist splint
- Cold compresses
- Apply for 20 minutes at a time, 2 to 3 times per day
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Corticosteroid injections for wrist pain
- Physical therapy for wrist pain
- Occupational therapy for wrist pain
- Surgery for wrist pain:
- May be required, depending on the cause
For more information:
Wrist Pain Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat wrist pain:
Continue to Wrist Pain Home Care
- Helliwell PS. Regional musculoskeletal pain. The elbow, forearm, wrist and hand. Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 1999 Jun;13(2):311-28. 
- Nagle DJ. Evaluation of chronic wrist pain. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2000 Jan-Feb;8(1):45-55. 
- Palmer KT. Regional musculoskeletal conditions: pain in the forearm, wrist and hand. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2003 Feb;17(1):113-35. 
- Shin AY, Deitch MA, Sachar K, Boyer MI. Ulnar-sided wrist pain: diagnosis and treatment. Instr Course Lect. 2005;54:115-28.