Withdrawal from Alcohol Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of alcohol withdrawal.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Withdrawal from Alcohol Specialist
- Addolorato G, Balducci G, Capristo E: Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB) in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal syndrome: a randomized comparative study versus benzodiazepine. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1999 Oct; 23(10): 1596-604. 
- Castaneda R, Cushman P: Alcohol withdrawal: a review of clinical management. J Clin Psychiatry 1989 Aug; 50(8): 278-84. 
- Mayo-Smith MF, American Society of Addiction Medicine Working Group on Pharmacology: Pharmacological management of alcohol withdrawal: A meta-analysis and evidence-based practice guideline. JAMA 1997; 278: 144-151. 
- O'Connor PG, Schottenfeld RS: Patients with alcohol problems. N Engl J Med 1998 Feb 26; 338(9): 592-602. 
- Olmedo R, Hoffman RS: Withdrawal syndromes. Emerg Med Clin North Am 2000 May; 18(2): 273-88. 
- Turner RC, Lichstein PR, Peden JG Jr, et al: Alcohol withdrawal syndromes: a review of pathophysiology, clinical presentation, and treatment. J Gen Intern Med 1989 Sep-Oct; 4(5): 432-44.