Whitlow Herpetic Treatment
Herpetic whitlow is a self-limited disease. Treatment is directed at relieving pain. Treatment for herpetic whitlow usually includes antiviral medications, narcotic pain medications, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain.
Treatment options for herpetic whitlow include:
- Ant-viral medication:
- Fingertip splint over the fingertip
- Skin cleansing
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
Whitlow Herpetic Specialist
Continue to Whitlow Herpetic Home Care
- Clark DC. Common acute hand infections. Am Fam Physician. 2003 Dec 1;68(11):2167-76. 
- Ney AC, English JC 3rd, Greer KE. Coexistent infections on a child's distal phalanx: blistering dactylitis and herpetic whitlow. Cutis. 2002 Jan;69(1):46-8.