Wernicke's Encephalopathy Home Care
Home care for Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome includes:
- Avoid alcohol.
- Counseling for alcoholism.
- Take vitamin B supplements as directed.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Wernicke's Encephalopathy Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome and any of the following:
- Worsening confusion
- Change in vision:
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty walking
- Eyelid drooping
- Facial weakness (unilateral):
- Loss of coordination
- Worsening memory loss
- Worsening mood changes
- Worsening numbness of the arms or legs:
- Worsening tremor
Continue to Wernicke's Encephalopathy Prevention
- Day E, Bentham P, Callaghan R, Kuruvilla T, George S. Thiamine for Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome in people at risk from alcohol abuse. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(1):CD004033. 
- Jauhar P, Montaldi D. Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome and the use of brain imaging. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl. 2000 May-Jun;35(1):21-3. 
- Thomson AD. Mechanisms of vitamin deficiency in chronic alcohol misusers and the development of the Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Alcohol Alcohol Suppl. 2000 May-Jun;35(1):2-7.