Walking Pneumonia Cough in Children
Home treatment of a cough in children with mycoplasma infection includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Use throat lozenges, but do not use them in children under 5 years of age.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
|Childs Weight||Dextromethorphan Dose|
|22 lb (10 kg)||5 mg every 8 hrs|
|33 lb (15 kg)||7.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|44 lb (20 kg)||10 mg every 8 hrs|
|55 lb (25 kg)||12.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|66 lb (30 kg)||15 mg every 8 hrs|
|88 lb (40 kg)||20 mg every 8 hrs|
|110 lb (50 kg)||25 mg every 8 hrs|
|132 lb-adult (60 kg)||30 mg every 8 hrs|
Cough medication precautions:
- Contact your doctor before using cough medicine in a child less than 6 years old.
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce the child's ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness.
- Talk to the doctor before you give cough medicine to a child who has asthma, lung disease, heart disease or kidney disease.
Continue to Walking Pneumonia Pain and Fever Adults
- Guleria R, Nisar N, Chawla TC, Biswas NR. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and central nervous system complications: a review. J Lab Clin Med. 2005 Aug;146(2):55-63. 
- Kraft M, Cassell GH, Pak J, Martin RJ. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae in asthma: effect of clarithromycin. Chest. 2002 Jun;121(6):1782-8. 
- Meseguer MA, Alvarez A, Rejas MT, Sanchez C, Perez-Diaz JC, Baquero F. Mycoplasma pneumoniae: a reduced-genome intracellular bacterial pathogen. Infect Genet Evol. 2003 May;3(1):47-55. 
- Waites KB, Talkington DF. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and its role as a human pathogen. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004 Oct;17(4):697-728, table of contents.