Voice is Hoarse Home Care
Home care for a hoarse voice includes:
- Rest your voice.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Take nonprescription medication for sore throat:
- Gargle with warm salt water
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Voice is Hoarse Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a hoarse voice and any of the following:
Continue to Voice is Hoarse Outlook
- Hastriter EV, Olsson JM. In brief: hoarseness. Pediatr Rev. 2006 Jun;27(6):e47-8. 
- Klassen TP. Recent advances in the treatment of bronchiolitis and laryngitis. Pediatr Clin North Am. 1997 Feb;44(1):249-61. 
- Noordzij JP, Khidr A, Evans BA, Desper E, Mittal RK, Reibel JF, Levine PA. Evaluation of omeprazole in the treatment of reflux laryngitis: a prospective, placebo-controlled, randomized, double-blind study. Laryngoscope. 2001 Dec;111(12):2147-51.