Vitamin C Deficiency Underlying Cause
Scurvy is caused by a deficiency of vitamin C. Vitamin C is needed to make collagen, which is an essential component of skin, cartilage, teeth, bone and blood vessels. Vitamin C also increases the absorption of iron from the intestines.
Causes of scurvy include:
- Restrictive diets
- Unhealthy diets
- Fad diets
- Brickley M, Ives R. Skeletal manifestations of infantile scurvy. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2006 Feb;129(2):163-72. 
- Cook GC. Scurvy in the British Mercantile Marine in the 19th century, and the contribution of the Seamen's Hospital Society. Postgrad Med J. 2004 Apr;80(942):224-9. 
- Fain O. Musculoskeletal manifestations of scurvy. Joint Bone Spine. 2005 Mar;72(2):124-8. 
- Pimentel L. Scurvy: historical review and current diagnostic approach. Am J Emerg Med. 2003 Jul;21(4):328-32. 
- Strumia R. Dermatologic signs in patients with eating disorders. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2005;6(3):165-73.