Viral Liver Infection Anatomy
To better understand viral hepatitis, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Bianco E, De Masi S, Mele A, Jefferson T. Effectiveness of immune globulins in preventing infectious hepatitis and hepatitis A: a systematic review. Dig Liver Dis. 2004 Dec;36(12):834-42. 
- Ferenci P. Treatment of chronic viral hepatitis. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2004;18 Suppl:113-20. 
- Kanwal F, Gralnek IM, Martin P, Dulai GS, Farid M, Spiegel BM. Treatment alternatives for chronic hepatitis B virus infection: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2005 May 17;142(10):821-31. 
- Kim AI, Saab S. Treatment of hepatitis C. Am J Med. 2005 Aug;118(8):808-15. 
- Oncu S, Oncu S, Sakarya S. Hepatitis A and B seropositivity among medical students. Health Policy. 2005 Sep 28;74(1):39-45. 
- Wasley A, Samandari T, Bell BP. Incidence of hepatitis A in the United States in the era of vaccination. JAMA. 2005 Jul 13;294(2):194-201.