Viral Hepatitis E Anatomy
To better understand hepatitis E, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Banks M, Bendall R, Grierson S, Heath G, Mitchell J, Dalton H. Human and porcine hepatitis E virus strains, United Kingdom. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004 May;10(5):953-5. 
- Emerson SU, Purcell RH. Hepatitis E virus. Rev Med Virol. 2003 May-Jun;13(3):145-54. 
- Wang L, Zhuang H. Hepatitis E: an overview and recent advances in vaccine research. World J Gastroenterol. 2004 Aug 1;10(15):2157-62. 
- Worm HC, Wirnsberger G. Hepatitis E vaccines: progress and prospects. Drugs. 2004;64(14):1517-31.