Viral Hepatitis D Anatomy
To better understand hepatitis D, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Bean P. Latest discoveries on the infection and coinfection with hepatitis D virus. Am Clin Lab. 2002 Jun;21(5):25-7. 
- Malaguarnera M, Restuccia S, Pistone G, Ruello P, Giugno I, Trovato BA. A meta-analysis of interferon-alpha treatment of hepatitis D virus infection. Pharmacotherapy. 1996 Jul-Aug;16(4):609-14. 
- Niro GA, Rosina F, Rizzetto M. Treatment of hepatitis D. J Viral Hepat. 2005 Jan;12(1):2-9.