Viral Hepatitis C Outlook
What to expect with hepatitis C:
- Most people who are infected with hepatitis C do not develop symptoms.
- About 4 out of 5 people remain infected with the hepatitis virus for the rest of their lives: this is called chronic hepatitis C.
- About 1 out of 4 people with chronic hepatitis C develops liver failure.
- A person with chronic hepatitis C has an increased risk for liver cancer.
- Each in the US, about 15,000 people with hepatitis C die from liver failure.
Continue to Viral Hepatitis C Complications
- Gremion C, Cerny A. Hepatitis C virus and the immune system: a concise review. Rev Med Virol. 2005 Jul-Aug;15(4):235-68. 
- Pearlman BL. Hepatitis C infection: a clinical review. South Med J. 2004 Apr;97(4):364-73; quiz 374. 
- Rischitelli G, Harris J, McCauley L, Gershon R, Guidotti T. The risk of acquiring hepatitis B or C among public safety workers: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med. 2001 May;20(4):299-306. 
- Triantos C, Samonakis D, Stigliano R, Thalheimer U, Patch D, Burroughs A. Liver transplantation and hepatitis C virus: systematic review of antiviral therapy. Transplantation. 2005 Feb 15;79(3):261-8. 
- Yoho RA, Cruz LL, Mazaheri R, Cruz AT. Hepatitis C: a review. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 Aug;112(2):597-605.