Viral Hepatitis C Anatomy
To better understand hepatitis C, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Gremion C, Cerny A. Hepatitis C virus and the immune system: a concise review. Rev Med Virol. 2005 Jul-Aug;15(4):235-68. 
- Pearlman BL. Hepatitis C infection: a clinical review. South Med J. 2004 Apr;97(4):364-73; quiz 374. 
- Rischitelli G, Harris J, McCauley L, Gershon R, Guidotti T. The risk of acquiring hepatitis B or C among public safety workers: a systematic review. Am J Prev Med. 2001 May;20(4):299-306. 
- Triantos C, Samonakis D, Stigliano R, Thalheimer U, Patch D, Burroughs A. Liver transplantation and hepatitis C virus: systematic review of antiviral therapy. Transplantation. 2005 Feb 15;79(3):261-8. 
- Yoho RA, Cruz LL, Mazaheri R, Cruz AT. Hepatitis C: a review. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 Aug;112(2):597-605.