Vein Circulation Problem Treatment
General treatment for venous insufficiency may include keeping the legs elevated while sitting, regular exercise, and support hose. Treatment for severe venous insufficiency may include surgery.
Treatment for venous insufficiency may include:
- Elevation of the legs
- Protective splints:
- Special protective boots for leg ulcers
- Regular exercise
- Venous support hose:
- Gradient compression stockings
- Sclerotherapy for venous insufficiency:
- Injection of medication into the vein obstructs blood flow through the vein
- Laser therapy for venous insufficiency:
- A laser is used to burn the vein, which blocks blood flow through the vein
- Radiofrequency ablation for venous insufficiency:
- Radio waves are used to burn the vein, which blocks blood flow through the vein
- Vein stripping for venous insufficiency:
- Surgical removal of the vein
For more information:
Vein Circulation Problem Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of venous insufficiency.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce leg swelling?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Vein Circulation Problem Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat venous insufficiency:
Continue to Vein Circulation Problem Home Care
- Callejas JM, Manasanch J; ETIC Group. Epidemiology of chronic venous insufficiency of the lower limbs in the primary care setting. Int Angiol. 2004 Jun;23(2):154-63. 
- Jawien A. The influence of environmental factors in chronic venous insufficiency. Angiology. 2003 Jul-Aug;54 Suppl 1:S19-31. 
- Min RJ, Khilnani NM, Golia P. Duplex ultrasound evaluation of lower extremity venous insufficiency. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2003 Oct;14(10):1233-41. 
- Puggioni A, Kalra M, Gloviczki P. Superficial vein surgery and SEPS for chronic venous insufficiency. Semin Vasc Surg. 2005 Mar;18(1):41-8. 
- Yamaki T, Nozaki M. Patterns of venous insufficiency after an acute deep vein thrombosis. J Am Coll Surg. 2005 Aug;201(2):231-8.