Urinary Tract Infection Kidney Prevention
Prevention of pyelonephritis includes:
- Drink plenty of fluids:
- Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water per day.
- Do not postpone urination when you feel the urge to urinate.
- Empty your bladder completely when you urinate.
- Try to urinate every 2 to 4 hours.
- Practice safe sex:
- Use condoms.
- Urinate as soon as possible following sexual intercourse.
- Wash the genital area each time you shower or bathe.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Women should always wipe from the front to the back.
- Women should avoid prolonged sitting in wet clothes.
- Women should not use vaginal deodorants or perfumes.
- Circumcision decreases the risk of urinary tract infections in males.
Continue to Urinary Tract Infection Kidney Outlook
- Bloomfield P, Hodson EM, Craig JC. Antibiotics for acute pyelonephritis in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jan 25;(1):CD003772. 
- Efstathiou SP, Pefanis AV, Tsioulos DI, Zacharos ID, Tsiakou AG, Mitromaras AG, Mastorantonakis SE, Kanavaki SN, Mountokalakis TD. Acute pyelonephritis in adults: prediction of mortality and failure of treatment. Arch Intern Med. 2003 May 26;163(10):1206-12. 
- Ramakrishnan K, Scheid DC. Diagnosis and management of acute pyelonephritis in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Mar 1;71(5):933-42.