Urinary Retention Prevention
Prevention of urinary retention includes:
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid using antihistamines if you have an enlarged prostate:
- Avoid using sedatives if you have an enlarged prostate:
- Do not postpone urination when you feel the urge.
- Try to urinate every 2 to 4 hours and empty your bladder completely.
- Do not rush:
- Take time to empty your bladder completely
Continue to Urinary Retention Complications
- Acheson J, Mudd D. Acute urinary retention attributable to sacral herpes zoster. Emerg Med J. 2004 Nov;21(6):752-3. 
- Ghalayini IF, Al-Ghazo MA, Pickard RS. A prospective randomized trial comparing transurethral prostatic resection and clean intermittent self-catheterization in men with chronic urinary retention. BJU Int. 2005 Jul;96(1):93-7. 
- Jensen P, Mikkelsen T, Kehlet H. Postherniorrhaphy urinary retention--effect of local, regional, and general anesthesia: a review. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2002 Nov-Dec;27(6):612-7. 
- Thomas K, Chow K, Kirby RS. Acute urinary retention: a review of the aetiology and management. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2004;7(1):32-7.