Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care pain and fever vomiting warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Types Anatomy
Urinary Infection Vomiting
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best. The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Urinary Infection Warning Signs
PubMed Urinary Infection References
- Christiaens TC, De Meyere M, Verschraegen G, Peersman W, Heytens S, De Maeseneer JM. Randomised controlled trial of nitrofurantoin versus placebo in the treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection in adult women. Br J Gen Pract. 2002 Sep;52(482):729-34. 
- Czaja CA, Hooton TM. Update on acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. Postgrad Med. 2006 Jun-Jul;119(1):39-45. 
- Gomolin IH, Siami PF, Reuning-Scherer J, Haverstock DC, Heyd A; Oral Suspension Study Group. Efficacy and safety of ciprofloxacin oral suspension versus trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole oral suspension for treatment of older women with acute urinary tract infection. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2001 Dec;49(12):1606-13. 
- Krcmery S, Hromec J, Demesova D. Treatment of lower urinary tract infection in pregnancy. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2001 Apr;17(4):279-82. 
- McCarty JM, Richard G, Huck W, Tucker RM, Tosiello RL, Shan M, Heyd A, Echols RM. A randomized trial of short-course ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin, or trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole for the treatment of acute urinary tract infection in women. Ciprofloxacin Urinary Tract Infection Group. Am J Med. 1999 Mar;106(3):292-9. 
- Milo G, Katchman EA, Paul M, Christiaens T, Baerheim A, Leibovici L. Duration of antibacterial treatment for uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Apr 18;(2):CD004682.