Unable to Sleep Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for insomnia.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Unable to Sleep Specialist
- Ancoli-Israel S. Insomnia in the elderly: a review for the primary care practitioner. Sleep. 2000 Feb 1;23 Suppl 1:S23-30; discussion S36-8. 
- Benca RM. Diagnosis and treatment of chronic insomnia: a review. Psychiatr Serv. 2005 Mar;56(3):332-43. 
- Dundar Y, Boland A, Strobl J, Dodd S, Haycox A, Bagust A, Bogg J, Dickson R, Walley T. Newer hypnotic drugs for the short-term management of insomnia: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2004 Jun;8(24):iii-x, 1-125. 
- Sateia MJ, Doghramji K, Hauri PJ, Morin CM. Evaluation of chronic insomnia. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep. 2000 Mar 15;23(2):243-308.