Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment drugs questions for doctor specialist Home Care stress warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause
Unable to Sleep Stress
- Accept what you cannot change.
- Ask for help if you need it.
- Associate with people you enjoy and who treat you well.
- Consider life as challenges to seek not obstacles to avoid.
- Do not be dominated by one thing such as work or relationships.
- Do not feel guilty when you have to say "no" to extra duties or tasks. Respect your limitations.
- Energize your body with regular exercise.
- Engage in hobbies.
- Find the joy in giving.
- Fuel your body with healthy foods and avoid drugs and alcohol.
- Get a regular fresh air and sunshine.
- Have the courage to be imperfect.
- Keep your sleep habits regular.
- Make a list of all the stresses that cause you distress. Dispose of the ones you can and reduce your exposure to the others as much as possible.
- Pamper yourself with simple pleasures that give you joy.
- Practice relaxation and meditation.
- Realize that you are responsible for how you feel.
- Reevaluate and rearrange your priorities.
- Remember it is all right to cry.
- Schedule time for fun. Laughter dissolves tension.
- Seek professional help with overwhelming hard to solve problems.
- Take a few minutes of quiet time each day just for you to rejuvenate.
- Talk with someone you trust, it can be the best medicine.
- Try new experiences.
- Strictly avoiding stimulants may be helpful. This includes:
Continue to Unable to Sleep Warning Signs
PubMed Unable to Sleep References
- Ancoli-Israel S. Insomnia in the elderly: a review for the primary care practitioner. Sleep. 2000 Feb 1;23 Suppl 1:S23-30; discussion S36-8. 
- Benca RM. Diagnosis and treatment of chronic insomnia: a review. Psychiatr Serv. 2005 Mar;56(3):332-43. 
- Dundar Y, Boland A, Strobl J, Dodd S, Haycox A, Bagust A, Bogg J, Dickson R, Walley T. Newer hypnotic drugs for the short-term management of insomnia: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2004 Jun;8(24):iii-x, 1-125. 
- Sateia MJ, Doghramji K, Hauri PJ, Morin CM. Evaluation of chronic insomnia. An American Academy of Sleep Medicine review. Sleep. 2000 Mar 15;23(2):243-308.