Umbilical Hernia Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of umbilical hernia.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for another umbilical hernia?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Umbilical Hernia Specialist
- Gill FT. Umbilical hernia, inguinal hernias, and hydroceles in children: diagnostic clues for optimal patient management. J Pediatr Health Care. 1998 Sep-Oct;12(5):231-5. 
- Gonzalez R, Mason E, Duncan T, Wilson R, Ramshaw BJ. Laparoscopic versus open umbilical hernia repair. JSLS. 2003 Oct-Dec;7(4):323-8. 
- Lau H, Patil NG. Umbilical hernia in adults. Surg Endosc. 2003 Dec;17(12):2016-20.