Typhoid Fever Treatment
Antibiotics are the key to the treatment of typhoid fever. General measures include a clear liquid diet, corticosteroid medications, acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever, and medication for diarrhea or constipation.
Specific treatment for typhoid fever includes:
- Oral rehydration therapy for older children and adults:
- Effective to treat mild to moderate dehydration
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks (best), fruit juice and dilute tea.
- The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently, such as 2 tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes.
- May be able to advance to full liquid diet once symptoms improve
- Intravenous fluids for severe dehydration
- Essential for those with persistent vomiting, severe dehydration, or a significant electrolyte abnormality.
- Medications to control nausea and vomiting:
- Medications for diarrhea:
- Antibiotics for typhoid fever:
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
- Ofloxacin (Floxin)
- Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
- Azithromycin (Zithromax)
- Ceftriaxone (Rocephin)
- Cefotaxime (Claforan)
- Cefoperazone (Cefobid)
- Chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin)
- Trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim DS, Septra)
- Amoxicillin (Trimox)
- Corticosteroids for typhoid fever:
Typhoid Fever Specialist
Continue to Typhoid Fever Home Care
- Bhan MK, Bahl R, Bhatnagar S. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever. Lancet. 2005 Aug 27-Sep 2;366(9487):749-62. 
- Connor BA, Schwartz E. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever in travellers. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;5(10):623-8. 
- Crum NF. Current trends in typhoid Fever. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2003 Aug;5(4):279-86. 
- Crump JA, Luby SP, Mintz ED. The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ. 2004 May;82(5):346-53. 
- Cunha BA. Osler on typhoid fever: differentiating typhoid from typhus and malaria. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Mar;18(1):111-25. 
- Olsen SJ, Pruckler J, Bibb W, Nguyen TM, Tran MT, Nguyen TM, Sivapalasingam S, Gupta A, Phan TP, Nguyen TC, Nguyen VC, Phung DC, Mintz ED. Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid fever. J Clin Microbiol. 2004 May;42(5):1885-9.