Typhoid Fever Prevention
Prevention of typhoid fever includes:
- Typhoid fever vaccination:
- For those who travel outside the US, Canada, northern Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, during outbreaks of the disease
- Wash your hands after using the toilet.
- Avoid eating raw clams or oysters.
- Do not share food utensils.
- Wash vegetables or fruits thoroughly.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, seafood, or poultry.
- Make sure all meat, poultry, fish products, and eggs are well cooked.
- Re-heat leftover foods thoroughly.
- Travelers can take 2 tablets of Pepto-Bismol with each meal and at bedtime.
- Travelers to developing countries should avoid:
- Foods that are not steaming hot
- Raw vegetables
- Fruit they have not peeled themselves
- Tap water, including ice
Continue to Typhoid Fever Outlook
- Bhan MK, Bahl R, Bhatnagar S. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever. Lancet. 2005 Aug 27-Sep 2;366(9487):749-62. 
- Connor BA, Schwartz E. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever in travellers. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;5(10):623-8. 
- Crum NF. Current trends in typhoid Fever. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2003 Aug;5(4):279-86. 
- Crump JA, Luby SP, Mintz ED. The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ. 2004 May;82(5):346-53. 
- Cunha BA. Osler on typhoid fever: differentiating typhoid from typhus and malaria. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Mar;18(1):111-25. 
- Olsen SJ, Pruckler J, Bibb W, Nguyen TM, Tran MT, Nguyen TM, Sivapalasingam S, Gupta A, Phan TP, Nguyen TC, Nguyen VC, Phung DC, Mintz ED. Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid fever. J Clin Microbiol. 2004 May;42(5):1885-9.