Typhoid Fever Overview
What is typhoid fever?
A person with typhoid fever has a bacterial infection caused by Salmonella typhi. Typhoid fever is relatively rare in the US, where less than 500 cases of typhoid fever are reported each year.
What are the symptoms of typhoid fever?
Initial symptoms of typhoid fever include fever, headache, sore throat, abdominal pain, muscles aches, fatigue, a rash, and constipation or diarrhea. The rash of typhoid fever is rose-colored, starts on the trunk, and spreads to the arms and legs. Symptoms of worsening typhoid fever include high fever, severe diarrhea or constipation, abdominal swelling, and unintentional weight loss.
How does the doctor treat typhoid fever?
Treatment for typhoid fever includes a clear liquid diet, antibiotics, corticosteroid medications, acetaminophen or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain and fever, and medication for diarrhea or constipation.
Continue to Typhoid Fever Incidence
- Bhan MK, Bahl R, Bhatnagar S. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever. Lancet. 2005 Aug 27-Sep 2;366(9487):749-62. 
- Connor BA, Schwartz E. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever in travellers. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;5(10):623-8. 
- Crum NF. Current trends in typhoid Fever. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2003 Aug;5(4):279-86. 
- Crump JA, Luby SP, Mintz ED. The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ. 2004 May;82(5):346-53. 
- Cunha BA. Osler on typhoid fever: differentiating typhoid from typhus and malaria. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Mar;18(1):111-25. 
- Olsen SJ, Pruckler J, Bibb W, Nguyen TM, Tran MT, Nguyen TM, Sivapalasingam S, Gupta A, Phan TP, Nguyen TC, Nguyen VC, Phung DC, Mintz ED. Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid fever. J Clin Microbiol. 2004 May;42(5):1885-9.