Typhoid Fever Outlook
What to expect with typhoid fever:
- Typhoid fever usually resolves completely with treatment.
- About 15 percent of those treated experience a return of symptoms, caused by reactivation of the infection.
- Less than 1 out of 100 people with typhoid fever die from the disease.
- Children less than 5 years old have the greatest risk for death.
Continue to Typhoid Fever Complications
- Bhan MK, Bahl R, Bhatnagar S. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever. Lancet. 2005 Aug 27-Sep 2;366(9487):749-62. 
- Connor BA, Schwartz E. Typhoid and paratyphoid fever in travellers. Lancet Infect Dis. 2005 Oct;5(10):623-8. 
- Crum NF. Current trends in typhoid Fever. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2003 Aug;5(4):279-86. 
- Crump JA, Luby SP, Mintz ED. The global burden of typhoid fever. Bull World Health Organ. 2004 May;82(5):346-53. 
- Cunha BA. Osler on typhoid fever: differentiating typhoid from typhus and malaria. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2004 Mar;18(1):111-25. 
- Olsen SJ, Pruckler J, Bibb W, Nguyen TM, Tran MT, Nguyen TM, Sivapalasingam S, Gupta A, Phan TP, Nguyen TC, Nguyen VC, Phung DC, Mintz ED. Evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests for typhoid fever. J Clin Microbiol. 2004 May;42(5):1885-9.