Twisted Ankle Underlying Cause
The ankles support the entire weight of the body, which makes them very susceptible to sprains, strains, fractures and other injuries.
When a forceful motion overloads the ankle, three types of injuries can occur:
- Strain of the tendons that attach muscles to the bones
- Sprain of the ligaments that attach one bone to another bone
- Fracture of the bones
Common causes of ankle injuries include:
- Sports injuries
- Stepping onto an uneven surface
- Automobile accidents
- Occupational injuries
Types of ankle injury include:
Continue to Twisted Ankle Types
- DiGiovanni BF, Partal G, Baumhauer JF. Acute ankle injury and chronic lateral instability in the athlete. Clin Sports Med. 2004 Jan;23(1):1-19, v. 
- Kunkel M, Miller SD. Return to work after foot and ankle injury. Foot Ankle Clin. 2002 Jun;7(2):421-8, viii. 
- McKay GD, Goldie PA, Payne WR, Oakes BW. Ankle injuries in basketball: injury rate and risk factors. Br J Sports Med. 2001 Apr;35(2):103-8.
- Pugia ML, Middel CJ, Seward SW, Pollock JL, Hall RC, Lowe L, Mahony L, Henderson NE. Comparison of acute swelling and function in subjects with lateral ankle injury. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2001 Jul;31(7):384-8.