Tumor of the Uterus Overview
Another name for Tumor of the Uterus is Uterine Tumor.
What is a uterine tumor?
A woman with a uterine tumor has abnormal cells in the uterus that grow to form a mass in the uterus. There are two types of uterine tumors: malignant tumors and benign tumors. Malignant tumors spread to other organs, while benign tumors do not spread to other organs. Malignant uterine tumors are called uterine cancer. The most common benign uterine tumor is a uterine fibroid.
What are the symptoms of a uterine tumor?
Symptoms of a uterine tumor may include heavy menstrual bleeding, irregular menstrual periods, vaginal bleeding after menopause, vaginal discharge, lower abdominal pain, low back pain, fatigue and weight loss.
How does the doctor treat a uterine tumor?
Treatment for a uterine tumor depends on the type of tumor. Treatment for a uterine tumor may include hormone therapy, surgery to remove the tumor, hysterectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Continue to Tumor of the Uterus Symptoms
- Chen S. MRI-guided focused ultrasound treatment of uterine fibroids. Issues Emerg Health Technol. 2005 Jul;(70):1-4. 
- Diaz-Montes TP, Alberg A, Zahurak ML, Trimble EL, Bristow RE. Cancer of the uterine corpus among Hispanic women living in the United States: patterns of staging, diagnosis, and primary treatment. Gynecol Oncol. 2005 Mar;96(3):753-9. 
- Ellenson LH, Wu TC. Focus on endometrial and cervical cancer. Cancer Cell. 2004 Jun;5(6):533-8. 
- Kimura T, Kamiura S, Yamamoto T, Seino-Noda H, Ohira H, Saji F. Abnormal uterine bleeding and prognosis of endometrial cancer. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004 May;85(2):145-50. 
- Lippman SA, Warner M, Samuels S, Olive D, Vercellini P, Eskenazi B. Uterine fibroids and gynecologic pain symptoms in a population-based study. Fertil Steril. 2003 Dec;80(6):1488-94. 
- Medical Letter. Uterine artery embolization for fibroids. Med Lett Drugs Ther. 2005 Apr 11;47(1206):31-2. 
- Prollius A, de Vries C, Loggenberg E, Nel M, du Plessis A, Van Rensburg DJ, Wessels PH. Uterine artery embolization for symptomatic fibroids. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004 Mar;84(3):236-40. 
- Tewari KS, DiSaia PJ. Primary prevention of uterine cervix cancer: focus on vaccine history and current strategy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2002 Dec;29(4):843-68, ix.