Trouble Breathing Cough in Children
Home treatment of a cough in children with breathing difficulty includes:
- Avoid respiratory irritants, such as pollution, pollen, mold, dust and chemical fumes
- Change A/C and furnace filters regularly.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Drink warm liquids to relieve coughing spasms.
- Use throat lozenges, but do not use them in children under 5 years of age.
- Place a vaporizer or nebulizer in the bedroom at night.
- Cough medicines rarely reduce coughing.
- Cough medications that contain dextromethorphan may reduce a dry cough.
- Cough medications that contain guaifenesin (Robitussin) may make it easier to cough up phlegm.
- Guaifenesin is often combined with dextromethorphan (Robitussin-DM).
|Childs Weight||Dextromethorphan Dose|
|22 lb (10 kg)||5 mg every 8 hrs|
|33 lb (15 kg)||7.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|44 lb (20 kg)||10 mg every 8 hrs|
|55 lb (25 kg)||12.5 mg every 8 hrs|
|66 lb (30 kg)||15 mg every 8 hrs|
|88 lb (40 kg)||20 mg every 8 hrs|
|110 lb (50 kg)||25 mg every 8 hrs|
|132 lb-adult (60 kg)||30 mg every 8 hrs|
Cough medication precautions:
- Contact your doctor before using cough medicine in a child less than 6 years old.
- A cough can help clear infected mucus from the lungs. Suppressing the cough may reduce the child's ability to fight the infection.
- Cough medicine can cause drowsiness.
- Talk to the doctor before you give cough medicine to a child who has asthma, lung disease, heart disease or kidney disease.
Continue to Trouble Breathing Warning Signs
- Dosh SA. Diagnosis of heart failure in adults. Am Fam Physician. 2004 Dec 1;70(11):2145-52. 
- Evans SE, Scanlon PD. Current practice in pulmonary function testing. Mayo Clin Proc. 2003 Jun;78(6):758-63. 
- Fedullo PF, Tapson VF. Clinical practice. The evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med. 2003 Sep 25;349(13):1247-56. 
- Karnani NG, Reisfield GM, Wilson GR. Evaluation of chronic dyspnea. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Apr 15;71(8):1529-37. 
- Lee-Chiong T Jr, Matthay RA. Drug-induced pulmonary edema and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Clin Chest Med. 2004 Mar;25(1):95-104.