Trigger Thumb Underlying Cause
Trigger finger is caused by inflammation and thickening of the finger tendon on the palm side of the hand.
Causes of tendon inflammation in those with trigger finger include:
- Abnormal tendon development in the womb
- Injury to the tendon:
- Tendon laceration
- Tendon rupture
- Repetitive motion of the finger
Continue to Trigger Thumb Anatomy
- Benson LS, Ptaszek AJ. Injection versus surgery in the treatment of trigger finger. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1997 Jan;22(1):138-44. 
- Cardon LJ, Ezaki M, Carter PR. Trigger finger in children. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999 Nov;24(6):1156-61. 
- Finsen V, Hagen S. Surgery for trigger finger. Hand Surg. 2003 Dec;8(2):201-3.