Tremor due to Parkinson's Drugs
There are no medications that cure Parkinson's disease, but medications can reduce the symptoms of the disease. A person with Parkinson's disease must learn about the side effects that may occur with their Parkinson's disease medications.
Dopaminergic Drugs for Parkinson's Disease
These drugs increase the levels of dopamine in the brain.
Dopaminergic drugs for Parkinson's disease include:
Dopamine Agonist Drugs for Parkinson's Disease
Several drugs mimic the effects of dopamine in the brain.
Dopamine agonists drugs for Parkinson's disease include:
- Apomorphine (Apokyn)
- Bromocriptine (Parlodel)
- Pramipexole (Mirapex)
- Ropinirole (Requip and Requip XL)
- Rotigotine (Neupro)
Anticholinergic Drugs for Parkinson's Disease
These medications are often used in combination with other drugs. They decrease activity in areas of the brain that have low dopamine levels.
Anticholinergic drugs for Parkinson's disease include:
COMT Inhibitor Drugs for Parkinson's Disease
Drugs in this class work by inhibiting an enzyme called COMT. This enzyme breaks down dopamine and similar chemicals in the brain. This increases dopamine levels and decreases symptoms of Parkinson's.
COMT inhibitor drugs for Parkinson's disease include:
Additional Medications for Parkinson's Disease
Other drugs that may be used to treat Parkinson's disease include:
Continue to Tremor due to Parkinson's Questions For Doctor
- Chung TH, Deane KH, Ghazi-Noori S, Rickards H, Clarke CE. Systematic review of antidepressant therapies in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2003 Dec;10(2):59-65. 
- Curran MP, Perry CM. Cabergoline : a review of its use in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Drugs. 2004;64(18):2125-41. 
- Gage H, Storey L. Rehabilitation for Parkinson's disease: a systematic review of available evidence. Clin Rehabil. 2004 Aug;18(5):463-82. 
- Hague SM, Klaffke S, Bandmann O. Neurodegenerative disorders: Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2005 Aug;76(8):1058-63. 
- Twelves D, Perkins KS, Counsell C. Systematic review of incidence studies of Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord. 2003 Jan;18(1):19-31.