Toxic Megacolon Outlook
What to expect with toxic megacolon:
- In most cases of toxic megacolon, surgery must be performed to remove the colon.
- About 25 percent of those with toxic megacolon die from the disease.
Continue to Toxic Megacolon Complications
- Gan SI, Beck PL. A new look at toxic megacolon: an update and review of incidence, etiology, pathogenesis, and management. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003 Nov;98(11):2363-71. 
- Imbriaco M, Balthazar EJ. Toxic megacolon: role of CT in evaluation and detection of complications. Clin Imaging. 2001 Sep-Oct;25(5):349-54. 
- Pascu M, Muller AR, Wiedenmann B, Dignass AU. Rescue therapy with tacrolimus in a patient with toxic megacolon. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2003 May;18(3):271-5.