Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care pain and fever adults pain and fever children sore throat in adults sore throat in children vomiting in adults vomiting in children warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Transmission Anatomy
Tonsillitis Vomiting in Adults
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Continue to Tonsillitis Vomiting in Children
PubMed Tonsillitis References
- Brook I, Dohar JE. Management of group A beta-hemolytic streptococcal pharyngotonsillitis in children. J Fam Pract. 2006 Dec;55(12):S1-11; quiz S12. 
- Brook I. The role of bacterial interference in otitis, sinusitis and tonsillitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Jul;133(1):139-46. 
- Cohen R. Defining the optimum treatment regimen for azithromycin in acute tonsillopharyngitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2004 Feb;23(2 Suppl):S129-34. 
- Cooper RJ, Hoffman JR, Bartlett JG, Besser RE, Gonzales R, Hickner JM, Sande MA; American Academy of Family Physicians; American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine; Centers for Disease Control. Principles of appropriate antibiotic use for acute pharyngitis in adults: background. Ann Intern Med. 2001 Mar 20;134(6):509-17. 
- Johnson BC, Alvi A. Cost-effective workup for tonsillitis. Testing, treatment, and potential complications. Postgrad Med. 2003 Mar;113(3):115-8, 121. 
- Richardson MA. Sore throat, tonsillitis, and adenoiditis. Med Clin North Am. 1999 Jan;83(1):75-83, viii. 
- Tewfik TL, Al Garni M. Tonsillopharyngitis: clinical highlights. J Otolaryngol. 2005 Jun;34 Suppl 1:S45-9.