Tongue Injury Outlook
What to expect with mouth or tongue injuries:
- The outlook for mouth or tongue injuries depends on the severity of the injury.
- Minor injuries usually result in complete recovery.
- Severe injuries can result in deformities and difficulty eating.
Continue to Tongue Injury Complications
- Ng KF, Lo CF. The bamboo skewer: airway management in a patient with penetrating injury of the floor of mouth. Can J Anaesth. 1996 Nov;43(11):1156-60. 
- Schutzman SA, Liebelt E, Wisk M, Burg J. Comparison of oral transmucosal fentanyl citrate and intramuscular meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine for conscious sedation of children undergoing laceration repair. Ann Emerg Med. 1996 Oct;28(4):385-90. 
- Steinig JP, DeLoach ED, Boyd CR. Transection of the base of the tongue caused by penetrating injury. Am Surg. 1999 Feb;65(2):133-4. 
- Wu K, Ahmed A. Penetrating injury to the soft palate causing retropharyngeal air collection. Emerg Med J. 2005 Feb;22(2):148-9.