Toetip Amputation Tetanus
Those with an amputation who require treatment to prevent tetanus include:
- Those who have not had 3 tetanus boosters in the past need a tetanus booster after a skin wound.
- Those who have not received a tetanus booster in the past 10 years need a tetanus booster after a skin wound.
- Those who have dirty wounds need a tetanus booster if they have not received a booster in the past 5 years.
Dirty wounds include:
- Wounds that occur outdoors
- Wounds that contain dirt or foreign material
- Tetanus booster:
- A tetanus booster stimulates the immune system to make antibodies against the tetanus toxin.
- A tetanus booster may be given to those who have received 3 tetanus boosters in the past.
- The tetanus booster may be given within 72 hours after the wound occurs.
- Tetanus Immune Globulin (TIG):
Tetanus Vaccine and TIG Recommendations
|History||Clean, Minor Wound||Other Wounds|
|< 3 boosters||give Td||give Td + TIG|
|3 boosters||possible Td||possible Td|
Clean and minor wounds may need a booster if it has been more than 10 years since the last tetanus vaccine. Other wounds may need a booster if it has been more than 5 years since last tetanus vaccine.
Continue to Toetip Amputation Home Care
- Adani R, Marcoccio I, Tarallo L. Nail lengthening and fingertip amputations. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 Oct;112(5):1287-94. 
- Liang HW, Chen SY, Hsu JH, Chang CW. Work-related upper limb amputations in Taiwan, 1999-2001. Am J Ind Med. 2004 Dec;46(6):649-55. 
- McClure SK, Shaughnessy WJ. Farm-related limb amputations in children. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005 Mar-Apr;25(2):133-7. 
- Rosen RC. Digital amputations. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2005 Jul;22(3):343-63.