Tinea Face Treatment
Treatment for tinea faciei may include an antifungal cream or lotion, or oral antifungal medication. Most cases can be cleared up with a topical medication. In most cases, the rash resolves within a month with appropriate treatment. Fungal folliculitis is a deeper infection that requires treatment with oral anti-fungal medicines.
Specific treatment for tinea faciei may include:
- Topical antifungal cream or lotion:
- Butenafine (Mentax)
- Clotrimazole (Lotrimin, Mycelex)
- Miconazole (Femizole-7, Micatin, Absorbine)
- Terbinafine (Lamisil)
- Econazole (Spectazole)
- Oxiconazole (Oxistat)
- Haloprogin (Halotex)
- Ciclopirox (Loprox)
- Itraconazole (Sporanox)
- Oral antifungal medication:
Tinea Face Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of tinea faciei.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having tinea faciei again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Tinea Face Specialist
Continue to Tinea Face Home Care
- Chan YC, Friedlander SF. New treatments for tinea capitis. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2004 Apr;17(2):97-103. 
- Lin RL, Szepietowski JC, Schwartz RA. Tinea faciei, an often deceptive facial eruption. Int J Dermatol. 2004 Jun;43(6):437-40. 
- Stary A, Sarnow E. Fluconazole in the treatment of tinea corporis and tinea cruris. Dermatology. 1998;196(2):237-41.