Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Treatment
Treatment for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura includes plasma exchange. Plasma is the liquid part of blood that does not include the blood cells. Plasma exchange removes the plasma, and replaces it with new, fresh frozen plasma. An average of 5 plasma exchanges are performed in the first 10 ten days to treat this condition. Additional treatment for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura may include medication, blood transfusion, and surgery to remove the spleen.
Successful response to therapy is measured by:
- Resolution of neurological symptoms
- Normalization of hemoglobin, platelet count, LDH, and serum bilirubin
- Normalization of serum creatinine
Treatment for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura may include:
- Plasma exchange for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura:
- Removes abnormal levels of natural substances in the blood plasma
- Fresh-frozen plasma is used to replace the abnormal plasma
- Medications for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura:
- Blood transfusion:
- For those with anemia
- Surgery to remove the spleen
- Used in cases that are refractory to treatment
- Kidney dialysis:
- For those with kidney failure
Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Specialist
Continue to Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura Home Care
- Cataland SR, Wu HM. Immunotherapy for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Curr Opin Hematol. 2005 Sep;12(5):359-63. 
- McCarthy LJ, Dlott JS, Orazi A, Waxman D, Miraglia CC, Danielson CF. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: yesterday, today, tomorrow. Ther Apher Dial. 2004 Apr;8(2):80-6. 
- Sadler JE, Moake JL, Miyata T, George JN. Recent advances in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program). 2004;:407-23. 
- Tsai HM. Molecular mechanisms in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2004 Oct;30(5):549-57.