Thoracic Aortic Dissection Outlook
What to expect with dissecting thoracic aneurysm:
- Dissecting thoracic aneurysm is life threatening:
- Without treatment, 20 percent of people die in 24 hours,
- Without treatment, 60 percent of people die within 2 weeks
- Without treatment, 90 percent of people die within 3 months
- Only about 10 percent of people who undergo surgery die during the procedure.
- All thoracic aortic aneurysms larger than 6 cm should be surgically repaired.
- The 10-year survival for those who have surgery is 40%.
Continue to Thoracic Aortic Dissection Underlying Cause
- Aziz S, Ramsdale DR. Acute dissection of the thoracic aorta. Hosp Med. 2004 Mar;65(3):136-42. 
- Chiles C, Carr JJ. Vascular diseases of the thorax: evaluation with multidetector CT. Radiol Clin North Am. 2005 May;43(3):543-69, viii. 
- Elefteriades JA. Perspectives on diseases of the thoracic aorta. Adv Cardiol. 2004;41:75-86. 
- Rogers RL, McCormack R. Aortic disasters. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 Nov;22(4):887-908. 
- Teece S, Hogg K. Best evidence topic report. Peripheral pulses to exclude thoracic aortic dissection. Emerg Med J. 2004 Sep;21(5):589.