Tenderness in the Thumb Overview
Another name for Tenderness in the Thumb is Finger Tenderness.
What is finger tenderness?
A person with finger tenderness has pain when pressure is applied to the skin over the finger. Finger tenderness is usually caused by infection, inflammation, or injury to the structures in the finger. Causes of finger infection include cellulitis, felon, and paronychia. Additional causes of finger tenderness include tenosynovitis and arthritis. Finger tenderness may also be caused by a finger injury, such as a finger contusion, finger sprain, and finger fracture.
What are the symptoms of finger tenderness?
Symptoms that may occur with finger tenderness include finger pain, finger swelling, hand swelling, finger stiffness, and finger redness.
How does the doctor treat finger tenderness?
Treatment for finger tenderness depends on underlying cause. Treatment for finger tenderness may include rest, elevation, cold or warm compresses, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication, and antibiotics. A finger injury may also require treatment with a splint, a cast, or surgery.
- Ashe MC, McCauley T, Khan KM. Tendinopathies in the upper extremity: a paradigm shift. J Hand Ther. 2004 Jul-Sep;17(3):329-34. 
- Brook I. Management of human and animal bite wounds: an overview. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2005 May;18(4):197-203. 
- Brosseau L, Casimiro L, Milne S, Robinson V, Shea B, Tugwell P, Wells G. Deep transverse friction massage for treating tendinitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(4):CD003528. 
- Campbell DA, Kay SP. The Hand Injury Severity Scoring System. J Hand Surg [Br]. 1996 Jun;21(3):295-8. 
- Chan J, Spencer J. Adaptation to hand injury: an evolving experience. Am J Occup Ther. 2004 Mar-Apr;58(2):128-39. 
- Freiberg A, Pollard BA, Macdonald MR, Duncan MJ. Management of proximal interphalangeal joint injuries. Hand Clin. 2006 Aug;22(3):235-42. 
- Gaar E. Occupational hand infections. Clin Occup Environ Med. 2006;5(2):369-80, viii. 
- Gustafsson M, Ahlstrom G. Problems experienced during the first year of an acute traumatic hand injury - a prospective study. J Clin Nurs. 2004 Nov;13(8):986-95.