Overview Incidence Symptoms Evaluation Treatment specialist Home Care warning signs Prevention Outlook Transmission Types
Types of tapeworm infections include:
- The beef tapeworm is names Taenia saginata.
- The infection is common in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Mexico, and South America.
- Infection is uncommon in the US.
- Infections are caused by:
- Failure of the meat inspection process
- Eating uncooked meat
- The pork tapeworm is named Taenia solium.
- Taenia solium is common in Asia, Russia, Eastern Europe, and Latin America.
- Infection with the pork tapeworm is a leading cause of seizures worldwide.
- Infection is rare in the US.
- May cause cysticercosis, a condition where there is an accumulation of cysts in the body.
- The fish tapeworm is named Diphyllobothriasis.
- It the largest of the human tapeworms, reaching a length of up to 33 feet.
- Infection is caused by eating raw or undercooked freshwater fish, such as pike and perch.
PubMed Tapeworm References
- Flisser A, Vazquez-Mendoza A, Martinez-Ocana J, Gomez-Colin E, Leyva RS, Medina-Santillan R. Short report: evaluation of a self-detection tool for tapeworm carriers for use in public health. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 May;72(5):510-2. 
- Garcia HH, Del Brutto OH, Nash TE, White AC Jr, Tsang VC, Gilman RH. New concepts in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis (Taenia solium). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Jan;72(1):3-9. 
- Garcia HH, Gonzalez AE, Gilman RH; Cysticerosis Working Group in Peru. Diagnosis, treatment and control of Taenia solium cysticercosis. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2003 Oct;16(5):411-9. 
- Salinas R, Prasad K. Drugs for treating neurocysticercosis (tapeworm infection of the brain). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD000215.