The treatment for tapeworm infections usually includes antiparasitic medications, which kill the adult worms in the intestine. These medications target the adult worm and do not kill the eggs. The selection of antiparasitic medication depends on the type of infection.
Your doctor will re-check your stools (looking for parts of worms and eggs) for several months following treatment to make sure the infection has resolved. For some species of tapeworm, surgery may be required to remove cysts from the liver.
Medications used to treat tapeworm infections include:
- Antiparasitic medications:
- Praziquantel (Biltricide)
- Niclosamide (Niclocide)
- Albendazole (Albenza)
- Mebendazole (Vermox)
- Paromomycin (Humatin)
- Corticosteroid medications:
- Can reduce the inflammation tapeworm cysts can cause in the body tissues
- Prednisone (Deltasone, Sterapred, Orasone)
- Methylprednisolone (Solu-Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Medrol)
- Rarely, these medications maybe required to control seizures associated with infection.
- VP shunt:
- Reduces pressure on the brain
- One type of infection can cause hydrocephalus
- Some cysts may need to be surgically removed depending on their location.
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat a tapeworm infection:
Continue to Tapeworm Home Care
- Flisser A, Vazquez-Mendoza A, Martinez-Ocana J, Gomez-Colin E, Leyva RS, Medina-Santillan R. Short report: evaluation of a self-detection tool for tapeworm carriers for use in public health. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 May;72(5):510-2. 
- Garcia HH, Del Brutto OH, Nash TE, White AC Jr, Tsang VC, Gilman RH. New concepts in the diagnosis and management of neurocysticercosis (Taenia solium). Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005 Jan;72(1):3-9. 
- Garcia HH, Gonzalez AE, Gilman RH; Cysticerosis Working Group in Peru. Diagnosis, treatment and control of Taenia solium cysticercosis. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2003 Oct;16(5):411-9. 
- Salinas R, Prasad K. Drugs for treating neurocysticercosis (tapeworm infection of the brain). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000;(2):CD000215.