Systemic Lupus Incidence
Facts about lupus:
- About 1.5 million people in the US have lupus.
- Lupus is more common in women than in men.
- Lupus is most common in young, African-American women.
- Age of onset is between 25 and 45 years.
Continue to Systemic Lupus Risk Factors
- Buyon JP, Petri MA, Kim MY, et. al. The effect of combined estrogen and progesterone hormone replacement therapy on disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2005 Jun 21;142(12 Pt 1):953-62. 
- Karrar A, Sequeira W, Block JA. Coronary artery disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: A review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2001 Jun;30(6):436-43. 
- Petri M. Review of classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2005 May;31(2):245-54, vi. 
- Yacoub Wasef SZ. Gender differences in systemic lupus erythematosus. Gend Med. 2004 Aug;1(1):12-7.