Syphilis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of syphilis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Am I contagious?
- For how long?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How do I avoid passing the infection to others?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for getting syphilis again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Syphilis Specialist
- Brown DL, Frank JE.Diagnosis and management of syphilis. Am Fam Physician. 2003 Jul 15;68(2):283-90. 
- Chan EL, Kingston MA, Carlin EM. The laboratory diagnosis of gonorrhoea and syphilis infection. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2004 Apr;30(2):126-7. 
- Lambert NL, Fisher M, Imrie J, Watson R, Mercer CH, Parry JV, Phillips A, Iversen A, Perry N, Dean GL. Community based syphilis screening: feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness in case finding. Sex Transm Infect. 2005 Jun;81(3):213-216. 
- Singh AE, Romanowski B.Syphilis: review with emphasis on clinical, epidemiologic, and some biologic features. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999 Apr;12(2):187-209. 
- Zeltser R, Kurban AK. Syphilis. Clin Dermatol. 2004 Nov-Dec;22(6):461-8.