Prevention of syphilis includes:
- Do not have sex with multiple sexual partners.
- Do not have sex with anyone who has oral or genital sores.
- Do not have sex with anyone who has a penile discharge or vaginal discharge.
- Do not use petroleum jelly in the vagina.
- Do not have sex with a partner who has intercourse with others.
- Practice safe sex:
- Use condoms.
- Women should not douche after intercourse.
- See your doctor if you are exposed to someone with syphilis.
Continue to Syphilis Outlook
- Brown DL, Frank JE.Diagnosis and management of syphilis. Am Fam Physician. 2003 Jul 15;68(2):283-90. 
- Chan EL, Kingston MA, Carlin EM. The laboratory diagnosis of gonorrhoea and syphilis infection. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2004 Apr;30(2):126-7. 
- Lambert NL, Fisher M, Imrie J, Watson R, Mercer CH, Parry JV, Phillips A, Iversen A, Perry N, Dean GL. Community based syphilis screening: feasibility, acceptability, and effectiveness in case finding. Sex Transm Infect. 2005 Jun;81(3):213-216. 
- Singh AE, Romanowski B.Syphilis: review with emphasis on clinical, epidemiologic, and some biologic features. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999 Apr;12(2):187-209. 
- Zeltser R, Kurban AK. Syphilis. Clin Dermatol. 2004 Nov-Dec;22(6):461-8.