Syncope due to Heat Treatment
Treatment for heat syncope includes removing clothing, a tepid water bath or sponge bath, oral fluids, intravenous fluids, cardiac monitoring, and rest in a cool environment.
Treatment for heat syncope includes:
- Oral rehydration therapy for older children and adults:
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks (best), fruit juice and dilute tea.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently, such as 2 tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes.
- The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- May be able to advance to full liquid diet once symptoms improve
- Effective to treat mild to moderate dehydration
- Drink liquids that contain salt:
- Intravenous fluids for dehydration:
- Rest in a cool environment
For more information:
Syncope due to Heat Specialist
Continue to Syncope due to Heat Home Care
- Booker RJ, Bricknell MC. Heat illness--recent developments. J R Army Med Corps. 2002 Mar;148(1):11-8. 
- Bytomski JR, Squire DL. Heat illness in children. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2003 Dec;2(6):320-4. 
- Coris EE, Ramirez AM, Van Durme DJ. Heat illness in athletes: the dangerous combination of heat, humidity and exercise. Sports Med. 2004;34(1):9-16. 
- Lugo-Amador NM, Rothenhaus T, Moyer P. Heat-related illness. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004 May;22(2):315-27, viii.