Swallowed Object Underlying Cause
Most swallowed foreign bodies pass through the esophagus, stomach and intestines, and are expelled in the stool. However, some swallowed foreign bodies cause injury.
Swallowed foreign bodies that may cause injury include:
- Swallowed button battery
- Large objects:
- Objects over 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Large pills
- Sharp objects:
Continue to Swallowed Object Anatomy
- Cheng W, Tam PK. Foreign-body ingestion in children: experience with 1,265 cases. J Pediatr Surg. 1999 Oct;34(10):1472-6. 
- Macgregor D, Ferguson J. Foreign body ingestion in children: an audit of transit time. J Accid Emerg Med. 1998 Nov;15(6):371-3. 
- Uyemura MC. Foreign body ingestion in children. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 15;72(2):287-91. Review. Summary for patients in: Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jul 15;72(2):292. 
- Wai Pak M, Chung Lee W, Kwok Fung H, van Hasselt CA. A prospective study of foreign-body ingestion in 311 children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2001 Apr 6;58(1):37-45.