Prevention of sunburn includes:
- Wear a hat or visor, to help protect the skin.
- Wear clothing that blocks the sun's rays.
- Use sunscreen if you are out in the sun for more than 30 minutes.
- Use a sunscreen that protects against UVA.
- Stay out of the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM, when the sun's rays are strongest.
- Take precautions if you are around snow or water:
- Snow and water reflect the sun's rays and can worsen the effect of the sun.
Continue to Sunburn Complications
- Han A, Maibach HI. Management of acute sunburn. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2004;5(1):39-47. 
- O'Riordan DL, Geller AC, Brooks DR, Zhang Z, Miller DR. Sunburn reduction through parental role modeling and sunscreen vigilance. J Pediatr. 2003 Jan;142(1):67-72. 
- Warthan MM, Sewell DS, Marlow RA, Warthan ML, Wagner RF Jr. The economic impact of acute sunburn. Arch Dermatol. 2003 Aug;139(8):1003-6.