Stye Home Care
Home care for a stye includes:
- Apply warm, wet compresses for 30 minutes several times a day.
- Gently clean the eyelid with baby shampoo 3 times a day.
- Gently wash away any pus that may be present.
- Do not squeeze or puncture a stye.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Use prescription antibiotic ointment as directed.
Stye Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a stye and any of the following:
Continue to Stye Prevention
- Barza M, Baum J: Ocular infections. Med Clin North Am 1983 Jan; DA - 19830407(1): 131-52 
- Jackson TL, Beun L: A prospective study of cost, patient satisfaction, and outcome of treatment of chalazion by medical and nursing staff. Br J Ophthalmol 2000 Jul; 84(7): 782-5. 
- Olson MD: The common stye. J Sch Health 1991 Feb; 61(2): 95-7.