Stroke Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of stroke.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- Will I need speech therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having another stroke?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Stroke Specialist
- Brown WV. Metabolic syndrome and risk of stroke. Clin Cornerstone. 2004;6 Suppl 3:S30-4. 
- Hoppe C. Defining stroke risk in children with sickle cell anaemia. Br J Haematol. 2005 Mar;128(6):751-66. 
- Ingall T. Stroke--incidence, mortality, morbidity and risk. J Insur Med. 2004;36(2):143-52. 
- Kim H, Friedlander Y, Longstreth WT Jr, Edwards KL, Schwartz SM, Siscovick DS. Family history as a risk factor for stroke in young women. Am J Prev Med. 2004 Dec;27(5):391-6. 
- Sacco RL, Sivenius J, Diener HC. Efficacy of aspirin plus extended-release dipyridamole in preventing recurrent stroke in high-risk populations. Arch Neurol. 2005 Mar;62(3):403-8. 
- Smeeth L, Thomas SL, Hall AJ, Hubbard R, Farrington P, Vallance P. Risk of myocardial infarction and stroke after acute infection or vaccination. N Engl J Med. 2004 Dec 16;351(25):2611-8. 
- Weber MA. Managing the patient at risk for a second stroke. J Hypertens Suppl. 2005 Apr;23(1):S41-7.