Strained Muscle Gastrocnemius Underlying Cause
Calf strains are caused by overloading the gastrocnemius muscle beyond its capacity. The muscle is unable to support the load, and the muscle fibers stretch or tear.
Common causes of calf strain include:
- Heavy lifting
- Sports: football, basketball, tennis, weightlifting
- Occupational injuries
Continue to Strained Muscle Gastrocnemius Types
- Anderson SJ. Lower extremity injuries in youth sports. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2002 Jun;49(3):627-41. 
- Beiner JM, Jokl P. Muscle contusion injury and myositis ossificans traumatica. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002 Oct;(403 Suppl):S110-9. 
- Kirkendall DT, Garrett WE Jr. Clinical perspectives regarding eccentric muscle injury. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002 Oct;(403 Suppl):S81-9. 
- Russell GV Jr, Pearsall AW 4th, Caylor MT, Nimityongskul P. Acute compartment syndrome after rupture of the medial head of the gastrocnemius muscle. South Med J. 2000 Feb;93(2):247-9.