Stone in the Kidney Outlook
What to expect with a kidney stone:
- About 50 percent of those with a kidney stone will suffer from another kidney stone within 5 years.
- With treatment, the chance of recurrence can be reduced by 90 percent.
- About 85 percent of kidney stone that require treatment are treated with lithotripsy.
Continue to Stone in the Kidney Complications
- Hall PM. Preventing kidney stones: calcium restriction not warranted. Cleve Clin J Med. 2002 Nov;69(11):885-8. 
- Pietrow PK, Karellas ME. Medical management of common urinary calculi. Am Fam Physician. 2006 Jul 1;74(1):86-94. 
- Portis AJ, Sundaram CP. Diagnosis and initial management of kidney stones. Am Fam Physician. 2001 Apr 1;63(7):1329-38. 
- Rao PN. Imaging for kidney stones. World J Urol. 2004 Nov;22(5):323-7. 
- Taylor EN, Stampfer MJ, Curhan GC. Obesity, weight gain, and the risk of kidney stones. JAMA. 2005 Jan 26;293(4):455-62.