Stingray Stings Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of stingray stings.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Will I need surgery?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for another stingray sting?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to Stingray Stings Home Care
- Brown TP. Diagnosis and management of injuries from dangerous marine life. MedGenMed. 2005 Aug 28;7(3):5. 
- Evans RJ, Davies RS. Stingray injury. J Accid Emerg Med. 1996 May;13(3):224-5. 
- Meyer PK. Stingray injuries. Wilderness Environ Med. 1997 Feb;8(1):24-8. 
- Nimorakiotakis B, Winkel KD. Marine envenomations. Part 1--Jellyfish. Aust Fam Physician. 2003 Dec;32(12):969-74. 
- Nomura JT, Sato RL, Ahern RM, Snow JL, Kuwaye TT, Yamamoto LG. A randomized paired comparison trial of cutaneous treatments for acute jellyfish (Carybdea alata) stings. Am J Emerg Med. 2002 Nov;20(7):624-6. 
- Reed KC, Crowell MC, Castro MD, Sloan ML. Skin and soft-tissue infections after injury in the ocean: culture methods and antibiotic therapy for marine bacteria. Mil Med. 1999 Mar;164(3):198-201. 
- Rocca AF, Moran EA, Lippert FG 3rd. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of soft tissue necrosis resulting from a stingray puncture. Foot Ankle Int. 2001 Apr;22(4):318-23.